Monday, February 22, 2010

Why You Shouldn't Work for Women Doing Creatives

I had to get this off my chest. I refuse to work for women when doing any writing or creative work. I think most of you who are in Web design/development, writing, etc. will agree with me on this once you get past the "this guy is totally sexist" autonomic response you're conditioned to have.

Here's why I no longer accept or do project for women: they only tell you 1/3 (or less) of the parameters and then require three times the re-writes as their male counterparts.

Back when I was doing Web development, I ran into this constantly. Female clients would give me vague ideas about what they wanted things to look like and how they wanted them to function. Then I would work with that, my perception at the time being that I had a pretty good idea of what they wanted. I'd show the results to the client and the nit-picking would begin. A simple project that I had bid on assuming it would take about 15-20 hours of work suddenly turns into a 3 week back-and-forth and re-do.

Today? Same thing.

I recently took a contract with someone I thought was male (screen names can be hard to quantify). Since it was so small, I didn't bother asking for a deposit (so no PayPal real name to go with). Turns out, it's a woman. Now, after having turned in the goods, she's basically asking me to start over and do it all again because I didn't follow some hidden guideline she never mentioned, but "should have been obvious" (according to her).

This means the project is going to take twice as long as before. So, I have to ask myself, is the $100 worth it?

You tell me. Luckily, the stuff I wrote for her can probably be turned over to Ezinearticles.com or one of those places as lame marketing materials, though that has dubious value for me.

Basically, I wasted three hours of my time on this lady's bullshit and now she wants me to do it all over again. Screw that.



--Read more coherent stuff from Aaron by visiting his main blog at Aaron's EnvironMental Corner - where the environment is looked at mentally. Or something like that. Or just Twitter: Tweet Me

No comments:

Post a Comment